INDUS (INDO-US CHILD LABOUR PROJECT)
The Indus Project is jointly funded by the Ministry of Labour, Government of India and the Department of Labour, United States of America (USDOL) and is implemented in ten hazardous sectors in 21 districts across five states viz. Delhi, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh. The Project has been completed on 31st March 2009. An estimated 103,152 child and adolescent workers withdrawn and rehabilitated against set target of 80,000 children.
The major components of the project would include:
- Identifying children working in hazardous occupations by means of a detailed survey.
- Withdrawing children in the age group 8-14 from hazardous occupations and providing them meaningful transitional education.
- Making provision for systematic Vocational education/training of adolescents.
- Providing viable income generating alternatives for families of children withdrawn from work.
- Strengthening public education of child workers (to be implemented through the Department of Education, MHRD)
- Social mobilization.
- Capacity building of National/ State and Local Institutions
- Raising interest towards Action against Hazardous Child Labour in other States.
|State||Number of Districts||Districts|
|MADHYA PRADESH||5||Damoh, Sagar, Jabalpur, Satna and Katni|
|MAHARASHTRA||5||Amravati, Jalna, Aurangabad, Gondia and Mumbai Suburban|
|UTTAR PRADESH||5||Moradabad , Allahabad, Kanpur Nagar, Aligarh and Ferozabad|
|TAMIL NADU||5||Kanchipuram, Thiruvannamallai, Tiruvallur, Nammakkal and Virudhunagar|